Sunday 7 April 2013

Distance to Mars

I came across a really cool website the other day. It's DistanceToMars.com. You start off by clicking the arrow in the bottom and it then shows you how far away the moon is from Earth (in pixels) if Earth were 100pixels wide. It's quite far away!



Then you click the arrow again and it shows you how far away Mars is. I'm not going to ruin any surprises, but let's just say the result is astonishing!




I'm always fascinated by how vast the universe is. It's almost impossible for a human brain to imagine the size of the universe, in fact, I'm pretty sure it is impossible. Mars is our nearest planet and it's a mighty 225 million kilometres (on average). That's a lot of space between us! 



I feel very small when I think of space. It's scary! I also think it's very self-centred when people say that don't believe in aliens. All that space and time going on that we have no idea about- There must be other life out there!

PS. TIL (Today I Learned!) that Mars is smaller than Earth? I can't believe I never knew this!

No comments:

Post a Comment